[DailyReading] The lowly on trial

Daily Bible Readings - English (en) dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Mon Sep 23 00:00:02 MDT 2019

Lesson: God's Blessings on the Lowly
Reading: The lowly on trial  2019-09-23
Reference: Matt. 26:47-66
Matthew 26:47: And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people.
Matthew 26:48: Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
Matthew 26:49: And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
Matthew 26:50: And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.
Matthew 26:51: And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priestÂ’s, and smote off his ear.
Matthew 26:52: Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
Matthew 26:53: Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
Matthew 26:54: But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
Matthew 26:55: In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
Matthew 26:56: But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
Matthew 26:57: And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.
Matthew 26:58: But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priestÂ’s palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.
Matthew 26:59: Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;
Matthew 26:60: But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,
Matthew 26:61: And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.
Matthew 26:62: And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
Matthew 26:63: But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Matthew 26:64: Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
Matthew 26:65: Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.
Matthew 26:66: What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.