[DailyReading] Unshaken by prison bars

Daily Bible Readings - English (en) dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Tue May 5 00:00:01 MDT 2015

Lesson: Unshakable Faith
Reading: Unshaken by prison bars  2015-05-05
Reference:  Acts 16:16-34
Acts 16:16: And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
Acts 16:17: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
Acts 16:18: And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
Acts 16:19: And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,
Acts 16:20: And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
Acts 16:21: And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
Acts 16:22: And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them.
Acts 16:23: And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:
Acts 16:24: Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.
Acts 16:25: And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Acts 16:26: And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.
Acts 16:27: And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
Acts 16:28: But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
Acts 16:29: Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
Acts 16:30: And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Acts 16:31: And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:32: And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
Acts 16:33: And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
Acts 16:34: And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.