[DailyReading] The mantle passed on

Daily Bible Readings - English (en) dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Fri Mar 28 00:00:02 MDT 2014

Lesson: The Faith Handed Down
Reading: The mantle passed on  2014-03-28
Reference:  2 Kings 2:8-15
II Kings 2:8: And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.
II Kings 2:9: And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.
II Kings 2:10: And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.
II Kings 2:11: And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
II Kings 2:12: And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.
II Kings 2:13: He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;
II Kings 2:14: And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the Lord God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.
II Kings 2:15: And when the sons of the prophets which were to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him.