[DailyReading] Judgment for lack of faith

Daily Bible Readings - English (en) dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Thu Nov 14 00:00:01 MST 2013

Lesson: Judgment or Mercy
Reading: Judgment for lack of faith  2013-11-14
Reference:  1 Chron. 21:1-14
I Chronicles 21:1: And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
I Chronicles 21:2: And David said to Joab and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beer–sheba even to Dan; and bring the number of them to me, that I may know it.
I Chronicles 21:3: And Joab answered, The Lord make his people an hundred times so many more as they be: but, my lord the king, are they not all my lord's servants? why then doth my lord require this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass to Israel?
I Chronicles 21:4: Nevertheless the king's word prevailed against Joab. Wherefore Joab departed, and went throughout all Israel, and came to Jerusalem.
I Chronicles 21:5: And Joab gave the sum of the number of the people unto David. And all they of Israel were a thousand thousand and an hundred thousand men that drew sword: and Judah was four hundred threescore and ten thousand men that drew sword.
I Chronicles 21:6: But Levi and Benjamin counted he not among them: for the king's word was abominable to Joab.
I Chronicles 21:7: And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel.
I Chronicles 21:8: And David said unto God, I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now, I beseech thee, do away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.
I Chronicles 21:9: And the Lord spake unto Gad, David's seer, saying,
I Chronicles 21:10: Go and tell David, saying, Thus saith the Lord, I offer thee three things: choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee.
I Chronicles 21:11: So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Choose thee
I Chronicles 21:12: Either three years' famine; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; or else three days the sword of the Lord, even the pestilence, in the land, and the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the coasts of Israel. Now therefore advise thyself what word I shall bring again to him that sent me.
I Chronicles 21:13: And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the Lord; for very great are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.
I Chronicles 21:14: So the Lord sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.