[DailyReading] Only a boy named David

Daily Bible Readings - English (en) dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Sat May 18 00:00:05 MDT 2013

Lesson: Lifted up Against God
Reading: Only a boy named David  2013-05-18
Reference: 1 Sam. 17:41-50
I Samuel 17:41: And the Philistine came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him.
I Samuel 17:42: And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
I Samuel 17:43: And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
I Samuel 17:44: And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
I Samuel 17:45: Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
I Samuel 17:46: This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
I Samuel 17:47: And all this assembly shall know that the Lord saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give you into our hands.
I Samuel 17:48: And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
I Samuel 17:49: And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
I Samuel 17:50: So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.