[DailyReading] No greater burden

Daily Bible Readings dailyreading at lists.churchofgodinchristmennonite.net
Wed Jan 18 00:00:02 MST 2012

Lesson: Christ Confronts Legalism
Reading: No greater burden  2012-01-18
Reference: Acts 15:13-29

Acts 15:13: And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
Acts 15:14: Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
Acts 15:15: And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Acts 15:16: After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Acts 15:17: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Acts 15:18: Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Acts 15:19: Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Acts 15:20: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:21: For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Acts 15:22: Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely , Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
Acts 15:23: And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
Acts 15:24: Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Acts 15:25: It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Acts 15:26: Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Acts 15:27: We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
Acts 15:28: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Acts 15:29: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.